Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pair of Shabby Lamps

During the summer, my sister, Cindy, gave me this unique pair of  vintage, ceramic lamps that she picked up at DI for $4 each.  She has the best stuff laying around her house and I always get to come home with fun, new projects.  I don't know why I waited so long to start on these lamps, but I knew they would turn out beautifully. 




I had to splurge on the lamp shades because it was hard to find matching shades at yard sales.  I bought these at Ross (the most affordable place for new shades) for $6.99 each. The lamp shades were covered with shiny, kind of outdated, fabric when I bought them.  They would have worked, but were nothing special.  I believe that a beautiful shade makes the lamp and these special lamps definitely deserved better, so I put myself to work.  I recovered them in my faux-linen, flax-colored muslin fabric and added a ruffle along the bottom. 




Next, Mr. Rubbish spray painted the lamp bases and metal stands to match because they were old and dirty looking.  When he took the lamp apart to paint it, he accidentally broke off a small piece of metal inside where the lightbulb goes.  He didn't think it was important until he put it back together and tried to turn it on.  When we plugged it in and turned the switch, it made a bzzzzzzing sound and all of our power went out.  Luckily we didn't get shocked and from now on I think I will always rewire my old lamps first.  Mr. Rubbish is a rewiring expert, so I let him do the work. 



I love the pretty, raised flower design on these lamps.  I wish I had a spot for them in my house, but I am sure they will find a good home.  I brought them to the shop yesterday and everyone was oohing and aahing over them all day. 

 






This post is linked to:

7 comments:

Kim said...

Hi Amanda,
I love your lamps. They look gorgeous now. The shades go so well with the base. I have a lot of lamps that need an over hall. Thank you for inspiring me to get busy. My first project will be two lamps that are brass with a beige ceramic center. You won't know they are the same lamps with a bit of paint and some new shades. Take care.

Kim
http://kim-lettersfromtheshore.blogspot.com

Deborah said...

No wonder they were oooing and awwwwing..they are so pretty Amanda!
Great job and great help from Mr. Rubbish! :)
Im sure they'll find a loving home..

Deborah xoxo

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Very pretty! Great job, Amanda!

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

Oooh, love them! The shades are so beautiful. Nice work!

Cindy said...

Those are so beautiful! I have one very similar but I still need to find a shade for mine! Thanks for joining in on Show and Tell!

Biljana said...

I love your Lamps, absolutely beautiful:))
Hugs, Biljana

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my..... Those lamps could NOT be more fabulous.... I love them! You did a terrific job on the shades....

Warm blessings,
Spencer

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails