Friday, August 13, 2010

Linen Upholstered Bench

My sister-in-law picked up this lovely, vintage bench seat at a garage sale last year for only five dollars and she gave it to me when she moved across the country. It is a beatiful style and just needed some new paint and fabric (the vinyl covered seat just had to go). The date stamped on the bottom says 1921, so it is almost an antique too!


I have been wanting to try Old Fashioned Milk Paint for a while, so I ordered some in cream color. The paint was really easy to use. I just added warm water to make it a good consistency and stirred it to get all the little clumps out. It dries fast (30 minutes) and I love the authentic "old look" it creates. The best part about it is that it is non-toxic and biodegradable.

I adore the completely flat finish of the milk paint.

I found this flax colored antique, linen fabric online and recovered the seat using a staple gun. Then, I sewed a ruffle with the same fabric and attached it with the staple gun to the underside. I know I am a little ruffle obsessed, but I love how a ruffle can really dress it up!







*Edited to add - linked to:
Check out these links for more ideas!

4 comments:

teresa said...

Very very nice. New life!

Kirsty said...

I've been wanting to use milk paint! It looks great! Love, love, love the ruffle.

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and thank you for the kind comments!

MiniBinoy said...

Milk paint! Its new to me!!am amazed at the new look u hv given to that bench..i too hv two antique chairs back home in india.they belonged to early 19s and was full of nails all around the vinyl upholstery...it was a tough task removing all of them .. had to give it a rose wood finish and replaced the upholstery using cream self designed thick jaquard..your creations are really awesome Amanda!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails